December 2010 Traffic
- Passenger: rise in traffic (+2.0%) and load factor (+0.9 points)
- Cargo: rise in traffic (+2.1%) but decline in load factor (-1.7 points)
- Activity strongly affected by adverse weather conditions
The passenger and cargo activities were each affected by the periods of heavy snowfall in December in both Europe and the United States. Unit revenues rose slightly in passenger and more strongly in cargo. The impact on revenues of these weather is estimated at 70 million euros.
Traffic rose by 2.0% in December with capacity up by 0.9% leading to a 0.9 point rise in the load factor to 80.6%. The number of passengers amounted to 5.4 millions, down 1.6% due to flight cancellations, especially in medium-haul.
- On the Americas network, traffic was stable with capacity up 1.7%. The load factor lost 1.5 points to 85.0%.
- The Asia network remained dynamic with traffic up 5.6% for capacity up by 6.7%. The load factor shed 0.9 points to 82.3%.
- The Africa and Middle East network saw a slight decline in traffic (-0.5%) while capacity increased by 1.1%. As a result, the load factor declined by 1.2 points to 78.7%.
- The Caribbean and Indian Ocean network enjoyed a robust level of activity with traffic up by 8.4% for virtually stable capacity (+0.3%). The load factor gained strongly, rising by 6.3 points to the high level of 84.1%.
- The European network was the most affected by the weather. Traffic declined by 1.1% while capacity was down by 6.1%. As a result, the load factor gained 3.6 points to 70.9%.
The cargo business was affected by the difficulties encountered by ground transport. Traffic was up 2.1% for a 4.6% rise in capacity, leading to a 1.7 point decline in load factor to 68.4%.
- On the 8th December, a new engine reconditioning workshop was inaugurated at Orly. This building, with a surface of 10,000 m2 will double the capacity to service Very Big Engines and reinforce the position of Air France-KLM in the maintenance market for these new generation engines.
- A code-sharing agreement on the Paris, Jeddah and Ryadh routes was signed on 12th December between Air France and Saudi Arabian Airlines.
- From 10th January 2011, Air France will fly to Cologne, Germany from CDG with two daily flights operated by Airlinair.
- Air France-KLM unveiled its new enterprise project, “Embark”. Built on common values and commitments to both Air France and KLM, Embark embodies the ambition and goals of the group for the coming years in five areas: better serving our customers, assuring a high level of operational performance, promoting the values of the group among all our employees, reinforcing our alliance SkyTeam as well as the leadership of our network, and returning to pre-crisis levels of economic performance.
- 8th February 2011 at 8h00 CET: January 2011 traffic
- 9th February 2011 at 17h45 CET: Third Quarter 2010-11 Results
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines was founded in 1919, making it the world’s oldest airline still operating under its original name. In 2004, Air France and KLM merged to form AIR FRANCE KLM. The merger produced the strongest European airline group based on two powerful brands and hubs – Amsterdam Airport Schiphol and Paris Charles de Gaulle. Retaining its own identity, the group focuses on three core businesses: passenger transport, cargo and aircraft maintenance.
In the Netherlands, KLM comprises the core of the KLM Group, which further includes KLM Cityhopper, transavia.com and Martinair. KLM serves all its destinations using a modern fleet and employs over 33,000 people around the world. KLM is a leader in the airline industry, offering reliable operations and customer-oriented products resulting from its policy of enthusiasm and sustainable innovation.
KLM is a member of the global SkyTeam airline alliance, offering customers an extensive worldwide network. The KLM network connects the Netherlands to every important economic region in the world and, as such, serves as a powerful driver for the economy.
SkyTeam is a global airline alliance providing customers from member airlines access to an extensive worldwide network offering more destinations, more frequencies and more connectivity. Passengers can earn and redeem Frequent Flyer Miles throughout the SkyTeam network. SkyTeam member airlines offer customers access to over 490 lounges worldwide.